Acquiring a driver’s license is very important. Why? It doesn’t just serve as your valid identification card. But its main purpose is to allow you to operate vehicles depending on the restrictions present.
What is a Driver’s License?
In the Philippines, a driver’s license is a document of identity issued by the government that also acts as authorization to operate a vehicle. To further enhance public safety, the Land Transportation Office (LTO) introduced adjustments to the license application procedure in 2021, including the requirement for a 15-hour theoretical driving course.
What are the types of Driver’s Licenses?
1. Student Permit
A student permit allows you to operate a vehicle as long as another licensed driver is with you. It is also a requirement for obtaining a driver’s license. The student permit is valid for 12 months. If you want to acquire a driver’s license, you must first obtain a student permit for at least six (6) months for a professional driver’s license and one (1) month for those who want to go for a non-professional driver’s license.
2. Non-Professional License
You can operate any registered private vehicle with a non-professional driver’s license. You have between a month and up to a year to apply for this kind of license, depending on when your student permit was issued.
3. Professional License
If you intend to drive for a living, you should obtain a professional driver’s license. If you are compensated to operate any public or private vehicle, you must submit an application for a professional license.
Overview of Recent Updates Regarding LTO Driver’s License Renewal
- July 2022: Documents that are due to expire in July, such as student permits, driver’s licenses, conductor’s licenses, and medical certificates, may be extended till the end of September. For license renewal, application, and replacement, some LTO branches now provide “black-and-white” Official Receipts (OR).
- June 10, 2022: The LTO issued a two-month extension on the expiration dates for conductor’s licenses, driver’s licenses, and student permits. Licenses that are set to expire in June 2022 can thus be renewed till August 31, 2022. As a preventative step against COVID-19, this is done to guarantee that there aren’t many individuals renewing their licenses at any LTO branches nationwide.
- May 13, 2022: Due to the rise in COVID-19 cases around the nation, student permits, driver’s licenses, and conductor licenses that had already expired in April and those that would have in May are given a two-month validity extension. Licenses that were initially set to expire in April 2022 will thus be valid until June 30, 2022, whilst licenses that will expire in May 2022 will remain valid until July 31, 2022. In addition, the LTO has said that the validity of medical certificates, which is one of the prerequisites for renewing a driver’s license, has also been extended.
Who is eligible to renew their driver’s license?
If you meet the following eligibility criteria, you may renew your driver’s license:
Having a driver’s license that has expired for up to 9 years is a requirement. Those that have been inactive for ten or more years are no longer eligible for renewal; as a result, you should start over and submit a new application for a student permit. The theoretical and practical driving examinations must be taken in order to renew a license that has expired for more than two years (but not 10 years or more).
Beginning on October 28, 2021, all drivers wishing to renew their driver’s licenses will need to have successfully completed and passed the related validation exam and the Comprehensive Driver’s Education. You can’t go to the LTO to renew your license until you have this CDE certificate since it is a key prerequisite for the renewal of your driver’s license.
Holders of professional driver’s licenses should not have two or more reckless driving convictions on their record within the current license’s period of validity.
Furthermore, a 10-year license reward is available to responsible drivers who have clean records. A five-year license will be available to anyone with at least one moving violation.
What are the requirements?
- Filled out Application Form for Driver’s License (ADL)
- Original driver’s license (Non-Professional or Professional).
- Original and photocopy of any government-issued ID with photo and signature of the applicant.
- Taxpayer’s Identification Number or TIN if you’re employed
- Certificate of medical examination (only available online/ delivered electronically). Only a doctor or facility that has received LTO accreditation shall provide medical certificates. You can obtain a medical certificate a few days prior to the date of application to save time and avoid long lineups. The medical certificate costs between Php 400 and Php 450 and is good for two (2) months. The medical exam will just test or measure your eyesight, blood pressure, and general medical status; there is no need to produce urine or stool samples. The applicant will still be given a physical copy of the certificate, which they should produce on the day of their application for verification purposes, even if the clinic is in charge of electronically transferring it to the LTO. Take notice that the medical exam is no longer a one-time requirement as per a recent LTO memorandum that was published. Even after your driver’s license has been successfully renewed, you will still need to have regular medical exams (PME). Regardless of whether you have a 5- or 10-year valid license, this is to verify that you will continue to be in good health to operate a vehicle.
- Certificates demonstrating your success on the theoretical and practical driving examinations are required for license holders whose licenses have lapsed for more than two years.
- Obtain a Comprehensive Driver’s Education (CDE) Certificate from the LTO or another LTO-accredited driving school or training facility to demonstrate that you have completed the requisite number of seminar hours and passed the seminar’s associated validation exam.
How to Renew Your Driver’s License
A valid license is essential since driving with an expired license may result in fines and legal implications. Getting a license renewed through the LTO Portal is simpler than getting a new one. Here is all the information you need about the procedure
However, LTO advises the public to renew their licenses online using the new portal, which can be reached at portal.lto.gov.ph, considering our continuing health crisis.
You may pick up your new driver’s license at any of the LTO locations across the country after finishing the online renewal process and paying the necessary fees. There will soon be a courier service accessible to deal with in-person transactions entirely.
You can go to any LTO branch if you’d like to submit a walk-in application or if the online interface is down or unavailable. However, since they are often not crowded and the renewal procedure is quicker and more comfortable, it is advised to renew your license at LTO Renewal Offices in malls.
- A Comprehensive Driver’s Education (CDE) Certificate should be obtained. Whether you are renewing a non-professional or professional driver’s license, you must now show a CDE Certificate. In addition, before visiting the LTO office, you must already have an LTO Client ID. Your previous registration at the LTMS Public Portal is verified by the LTO Client ID.
- Visit the local LTO office or licensing facility. Go to one of the LTO renewal offices in less busy malls for a speedier procedure.
- Present the necessary documentation to the reception staff (usually on Window 1).
- The staff will retrieve your license information from the system. You will be provided the license info so you can verify whether all the information is still accurate or whether any changes need to be made. If no changes are necessary, move on to the next stage. If there are any outstanding fines, you must pay them before moving on to the further stages.
- Pay the appropriate fees at the cash register.
- To get your picture, biometrics, and digital signature captured, go to the encoding section.
- The Professional or Non-Professional Driver’s License Card with the Official Receipt will be released, together with the expired card. On the Release Form, you must sign your name and include your contact information.
Online License Renewal
- Go to the LTO online portal or Land Transportation Management System.
- Click the Register Now button
- Read and accept the Terms of Agreement. At the bottom of the page, scroll down and check the box that says “Yes, I accept.” The security code must be entered in the designated field before selecting the blue Next button.
- Choose Enroll as an Individual.
- Give specifics about your current license. You will be prompted by the system to indicate if you hold a Philippine driver’s license or conductor’s license after choosing Enroll as an Individual in the previous stage. The information on your conductor’s or driver’s license, including the license number, expiration date, and Official Receipt number, must be entered after you click Yes. Then press the Next button.
- Choose your citizenship. You must give the information on your Alien Certificate of Registration (ACR) if you are a non-Filipino citizen. If not, simply press the Next button.
- Enter your full name, birth date, gender, and mother’s maiden name as well as any necessary personal data. After finishing, click the Next button.
- Enter your phone number and the email address at which you want to receive the verification message. Click the Create Account button when you’re finished. Be aware that it might take up to 24 hours for you to get the message of verification via your account email address.
- To continue the registration process, click the link in the verification email you received.
- You must use the same password each time you use the LTMS, so create one. To accomplish this, choose Set Password to log in, then finish the registration process.
Now that you’re done with the LMTS Registration, you may now renew your driver’s license online. Here are the simple steps to get you started:
- Access the Land Transportation Management System (LTMS) website by logging in. Enter your account email address, LTO client number, and password to log into your LTMS account.
- On the LTMS dashboard, click Licensing. If you just created your LTMS account, choosing Licensing will take you to a form where you must fill out your profile’s necessary details. The dashboard will be displayed when you submit the form, and a message indicating that your profile has been saved will appear on the right side of your screen. To proceed, simply click Licensing once more in the dashboard.
- Select “Driver’s License” under “License Classification” on the online application form. Do not press the Next button just yet since you must first submit a medical certificate in order to continue with the renewal procedure.
- To add a medical certificate, click Add. You will be asked to input your Medical Certificate Number after selecting this option. After entering the necessary data, click “Verify.”
- Choose Renewal as the application type. To proceed, click the Next button.
- Choose the LTO Office and appointment time that works best for you.
- Through your favorite payment method, pay the renewal fees.
- On the day of your appointment, proceed to the LTO office of your choice.
It is still necessary for you to personally pick up your license on the appointment date you chose even when you have previously completed your driver’s license renewal application online. On the day of your appointment, be sure to bring all necessary documentation and submit it to the LTO.
Renew Expired License
If you just want to renew your expired license, you don’t need to take the Theoretical Driving Course (TDC) and Practical Driving Course (PDC). The mentioned courses are designed for student permit and Non-Pro/Pro Driver’s License applicants, respectively. Rather, drivers applying for renewal will be required to successfully complete the Comprehensive Driver’s Education (CDE) and acquire the CDE certificate starting October 28, 2021.
Secure your driver’s license now for a more safe and more secured ride.